Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A girls gotta' do what a girls gotta' do.

It has been an eventful weekend. Lots of celebrating and lots of sugar; so by late afternoon on Christmas day, all I wanted to do was snuggle up to husband on the couch, finish a movie that we had started and watch the kids play with their toys. But my Grace had different plans. She too, wanted to play with her new toys, but she wanted to play with her new bath toys. Now, call me a bad mom if you will, but I didn’t want to do bath-time last night. It sounded like too much work. Washing the hair against their will, coxing them out of the tub before they turn into ice cubes, trying to catch two squealing slippery pixies just so that I could wrestle warm dry clothes on them; and then TRY to brush their hair. NO THANK YOU!
I just didn’t want to do it.
So I told Grace that they could bathe tomorrow, and proceeded to ignore the protest and watch my movie. A few minutes later my husband tells me that he caught Grace coloring on Faith's tummy with markers. When asked why she did that she ignored the question and told her father that Faith was dirty and needed a bath. I thought smugly to myself that Grace may be smart, but as for now, I’m still smarter, because I do not give my kids any art tools that are not washable. So I ignored it and continued to watch my movie. A few minutes later Grace walks up to me in the living room and just stand there. I try to look past her, but she gracefully positions herself between me and the T.V. So I look at her. There was white stuff on top of her head. “What did you do?” I ask. “Well, I’m dirty too, and we need a bath.” She stated very directly. “Grace, what is on your head?” I ask again, not liking it when she ignores me. “My dinner. Now give me a bath. “ also said very directly.
Next time I don't think I'll be quite as smug.
Good times.

No comments: