Saturday, December 9, 2006

My beef with Rudolf

I find it amazing the we are not a little more screwed up. Have you SEEN the 1964 Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer show lately? The supporting characters are mean and hateful. Rudolf’s own Father is ashamed of him and has Rudolf’s wear a disguise for over a year to make him appear more “Reindeerish”. Even Santa is unsupportive in the beginning. And then there is the Snow Monster. As I was watching it with my 3 year old I kept thinking that any minute they would discover that he just had a terrible tooth ache and the “dentist” elf would make it all better and everyone would be friends. At least that was how I remembered it, but NO that is Not the story. The “dentist” elf ambushes the “monster” and pulls out all of his teeth WITHOUT prier written consent! No wonder we have a fear of dentist. This show is full of actions that are not something that I want my children to emulate. Of course Rudolf is courageous and forgiving but . . . is it enough I ask you? I tend to question a lot of things that society deem inappropriate. Let’s just say that I’m conservative, but man, this cartoon really ruffled my feathers!
Okay, I’m off my soap box, and Rudolf is off my movie box. . .

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe, just maybe the author wanted to give parents the chance to speak with their children about how Rudolph was treated. I'm just playing devil's advocate, but maybe that could be it. :)

Hums said...

Okay devil,
Remember the phrase, “Actions speak louder than words”? That could not be truer than with children. And yes, you can teach a 3 year old that certain behavior is not nice and may hurt someone else’s feelings. But don’t for a minute think that the first time that child gets mad and Wants to hurt someone else feelings that they will not draw back on that bad behavior. Children are humans too. They aren’t even mature humans yet.