Monday, March 5, 2007

Apparently I've let myself go...far far away.

My husband had an office party/awards night. We RSVP’d and planned to attend. Then everything went to hell, and I completely forgot about the party. Plus the fact that it was on a THURSDAY night. The whole thing left my mind and did not return until my husband reminded me on MONDAY.
Now if I was any normal red blooded American woman this would not have thrown me into a makeover frenzy. I would have had a recent pedicure. I would have a little black dress that looked amazing on me just waiting for a chance to be admired. I would have had my hair in a less than embarrassing state. And for Gosh sakes there would be jewelry, jewelry, and more jewelry all at my finger tips.
But no, not me. Not this stay at home mom of three lovely children the adorable ages of 3 ½, 2 ½, and 6 months.
I almost fainted at the idea of meeting all of his co-workers, bosses and the owners of his company with so very little time to prepare. The list of things that required overhauling in order for me to become presentable was staggering.
Clothes had to be bought. Shoe had to be hunted down like dogs. My entire body needed to be plucked, stuffed, cut, shaved, painted, exfoliated, dyed, waxed, lifted and squished.
So much to do in such little time.
I will admit to you that the idea of falling suddenly and violently ill, did occurred to me.
But vanity and a love for good food won out.
In the end it was a good evening. Hubby won several awards. I met the owners, his bosses, and co-workers, and their wives. . . . another post entirely.
And all the while I felt beautiful. Well, as beautiful as this particular body can feel given the present situation.
My babysitter/brother-in-law, whistled a sweet little ditty and complimented me appropriately. He was the only one besides my husband that had seen the before and knew just what a battle I’d won.
Yes, I felt victorious.
God Bless America.

No comments: