Saturday, November 18, 2006

I am now the neighborhood snoop

I am apparently now the neighborhood snoop.

Here’s the story:
My family and I have been "quarantined" because my 3 month old son is going to have to have open heart surgery in couple of months, and we can't risk getting him sick before his surgery. And because we can not do any group socializing, we have not found a church in the area, or made any new friends. So I have made an extra special effort to befriend the new neighbors around me. One of the neighbors have already decided that we are weirdoes. I haven’t even begun to decipher why. There are way too many possibilities.
But there are these other neighbors across the street that I especial would like to get to know and so far, they have remained friendly. So as you can imagine I was quite trilled when they asked me to feed their new puppy while they were away for the weekend. Now understand that the “quarantine” has started to mess with our minds because I had the bright idea to take my two year old across the street with me to play with the puppy. Well, the poor little girl was just so thrilled to be out of our house that she ran amuck in theirs!
After tackling her three quarters of the way up the stairs upon immediate entry into the house, I wrangle her outside where the puppy, obviously “quarantined” as well was as happy to see her as she was to see him. Wrestling ensued. Then after much refereeing I decide they need a brake, so back through the house we go. Only, as I reach the front door I notice a terribly large menacing scorpion. Yes I said scorpion.
So I decide that if I kill this monster I will be saving my new friends lives thereby insuring our life long friendship, so I attack! It is surprisingly resilient and I asses that I will need to put a little more weight behind my next blow. By the way, I’m supper tiny, almost non-existent (ha) so when my daughter wriggles free from my grasp I am momentarily relieved to have both hands free for this battle I have found myself in. The relief lasted about 30 seconds, and then after securing our new best friends safety, I go in search of a very nosey 2 year old.
Where did I find her? Well in the master bedroom of course! I immediately see my new found friendship slipping away as I notice something in her hand and the top drawer of the night stand open slightly. By slightly I mean the size of my two years olds hand. She proudly displays her treasure for me to admire. I, by this time feel like I am being tried and found guilty. I grab the kid, throw her over my shoulder, kicking and screaming of course; take the “treasure” and throw it down on the night stand and run for my life! Once home I try to asses the situation.
Do I tell them the truth?
If I do, there is a very good chance that I could sound like – one a crazy person, making up an excuse for rummaging through their drawers – or two a very stupid parent that would bring a two year old that has not seen the light of day in over a week, to run free through a strangers house.
I told the truth, but I’m not stupid. I had enough sense to put the dead scorpion just outside the front door for proof. One- of my bravery, and two- of my honesty. . . . .
Now who would not want to be my friend?!

No comments: