Thursday, August 16, 2007

The one that got away.

I met up with a very old friend recently. This girl was my bff in elementary! I moved away in 6th grade and we reunited recently and planned to meet the next time I was in town. She is married now with a beautiful daughter and knows the where bouts of most of my other friends from that era.
I don’t know, but I think that there is something special about friendships that are forged at such a young age. The way I see it, if they liked you back then, when you were learning how to be likable then that is a genuine friendship. For some reason it just seems more honest and real then some of the ones we develop later. She like me before I was anything or anyone. Not that I’m particularly impressive now, but we do get judged by a different standard when we are older.
She will always have a place in my heart. And it feels good to be around something so old and familiar.

Do you still have childhood friends, and are they all they are cracked up to be?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My two best friends are friends I've had since 6th grade. The comfort level I have with them is incomparable! We've been through so much together. We went our separate ways for college, spent time living in different cities, and wound up back in our hometown, remaining friends the whole time, and now live within 10 minutes of each other.